Friday, May 21, 2010

Variations on a Theme

I have always, from as far back as I could remember, loved stories. My dad used to say he read to me while I was in the womb. Maybe that's why I have always been obsessed with story telling my entire life. See my mind makes these sometimes what seems like completely random connections from one story to another. I was able to find out motifs, Archetypes, and themes before I even knew what Motifs, Archetypes, and themes were! I knew the hero's cycle before I knew it had a name. In classes I would never really have to read an entire story to know what it was about, or where it was going. I might not know specifics but I knew enough about the flow and progression of most stories that I could wing it fairly easily.

Now that is not to say I didn't read, like I said, I love stories. It doesn't matter if a story takes a typical, or predictable turn, as long as the story is interesting. I do not believe there are any real NEW stories. Every single story out there has been told over and over again. The trick is to tell the same story in a way that still makes it interesting. Reinvent the story. I mean there is a reason the same stories keep getting told over and over again. Stories about love, loss, anger, friendship, betrayal. When told well, the essences of these stories speak to us on a primal level. And when they do that, the story moves us. We find a way to connect to it. Because these stories talk about us. In a good story, there is something that we feel connects us to it. It could be a character, a group, a setting, a situation. What matters is that those stories we love connect with us on a personal level. That is what I look for in a story. I don't care if you are telling me the same stories, so long as you tell me the story in a way that can still make me connect with it. Make me care about this story, make me care about these characters. That's why I love Stephen King as an Author. He just seems to actually breath life into his characters. its... its hard to explain. he makes you feel like the worlds he creates are real.

anyways, that's it for now. i swear my stuff will get better, its the end of the semester, so my brain is not sure if it should slow down or speed up...

No comments:

Post a Comment